Mykonos Folklore Museum
See how islanders lived in centuries past at this charming museum, which is a highlight of a number of walking and electric tuk-tuk tours of Mykonos’ old town. You can also combine cuisine and history by opting for a tour that pairs a museum visit with tastings of local wine or cheese. Among the museum’s eclectic collection, highlights include antique tools, utensils, and ceramics; musical instruments; rare textiles and embroidered works; and fine paintings. Also on display is a pair of cannons used during the 1821 War for Independence, an impressive collection of keys and locks, and a series of sketches depicting Myconian shipping vessels.
Things to know before you go
- This seven-room museum is set up like a historic house, with a hodgepodge of antique and vintage items that capture the imagination of kids and adults alike.
- The museum is only accessible on foot or via tuk-tuk, so wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk a bit.
- The museum is located in the waterfront Kastro neighborhood, thick with cafés and restaurants where you can stop for a snack or meal before or after visiting the museum.
- Due to steps and narrow doorways, the museum is not accessible to wheelchair users.
How to get there
The Mykonos Folklore Museum is located in the Kastro neighborhood of Mykonos, one of the oldest sections of the town along the waterfront. Reach the museum on foot or by tuk-tuk as part of a larger Mykonos highlights tour.
When to get there
The museum is open in the evenings, from April through October, making it a good choice to end your day of sightseeing before heading to one of the nearby cafés for an evening cocktail overlooking the harbor.
Mykonos’ Aegean Maritime Museum
For another glimpse into Mykonos’ past, stop by the Aegean Maritime Museum, a captivating collection of intricate model ships, nautical maps, navigational instruments, and other nautical artifacts, including an impressive 19th-century lighthouse lantern looming over the museum garden.
- Little Venice
- Mykonos Windmills (Kato Mili)
- Manto Mavrogenous Square (Plateia Manto Mavrogenous)
- Aegean Maritime Museum
- Church of Panagia Paraportiani
- Mykonos Cruise Port
- Ornos Beach
- Armenistis Lighthouse (Faros Armenistis)
- Paradise Beach
- Panagia Tourliani Monastery
- Terrace of the Lions
- Kalafatis Beach